Twitter

Twitter @Wombatwal

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

False/Faulty Memory



What I would like to talk about with my next blog is, False Memories.
I am not talking about the Theory of "False Memory Syndrome". This is where a Psychotherapist allegedly brings up to conscious thought a previous memory that has allegedly been repressed. This had currency for a while worldwide in the 80s and 90s. Some Psychotherapists were bringing to conscious thought alleged child abuse by parents, usually sexual abuse by the fathers. This practice has apparently been discredited as a faulty practice by some Psychotherapists. If my memory serves me correct, then again it may be faulty, there was an Australian Paediatrician in Scotland that brought to attention of the authorities there, of many repressed memories of sexual abuse by parents on their children. These cases went to court and I think they were all eventually proven false.
What I want to discuss is the false or faulty memory of everyday normal people. I think everyone does have these false/faulty memories of past events.
I can think of two concerning me.
The first is a memory that my mother has of being in a restaurant with myself and my brother. My mother said it was in the country town of Orange, but my memory is of it being in the country town of Queanbeyan. One of us has a faulty memory, or could it be both?
The second concerned the Federal election in Australia in 1972 when Gough Whitlam got into power. My brother (who is my twin) and a friend who is about 6 months younger. They both distinctly remember voting in this election. They would, I am sure at the time of the discussion last year, would have sworn on a truckload of bibles that their memory was accurate. My memory of the election was that we were all too young to vote because I and my brother were only 20 years of age, and our friend 19 years old in December 1972, and you had to be 21 years to vote in 1972. I checked this on the internet with the Electoral Office and voting for people under 21 years came in, in 1973. You could vote at 18 years and older after 1973. So 1972 was too early for us to vote.
This now brings me to another area I would like to discuss.
I read in the Fairfax Press Article about Steve Price the Rugby League player. Ex Canterbury Captain, current Queensland and Australian Prop forward, who allegedly received an email from his mother of a discussion she had with a Psychic. Steve received three readings from this Psychic and they talked of the trials and tribulations that Canterbury went through in the early 2000s. He allegedly received these readings in 2002. This Psychic was allegedly communicating with the spirit of the dead Peter Moore (Bullfrog). Steve was allegedly gobsmacked by what the Psychic predicted, all before the events occurred. What is this all about?
These readings have come up now because Steve has these readings in his book. Price's recently released book Be Your Best contains a chapter relating to a psychic reading with Moore in 2002 that warned of the club's salary cap scandal - before it happened.
Now this event has a number of possible explanations.
The first would be that Psychics are real and the Psychic was really communicating with Bullfrogs spirit. Steve has a spirital motive. To me this is unlikely because the existence of a spirit of a dead person has never been verified, no credible scientific evidence exists for such entities.
Second is that Steve is making all of this up to push along the sale of his book, he has a monetary motive. This to me is possibly unlikely. All that I have heard of Steve is that he is a honest person, (well he would be if he played for Canterbury).
Thirdly he has a faulty memory of the chronological order of events. What Steve was told to him by his mother could have happened after the event. Over the years he has fitted this in with getting the information before the event. This to me is the most rational explanation.
I am open to other explanations with the appropriate credible evidence.
Finishing this now. What do you all think of this False/Faulty memory. Have you had these experiences, how have you rationalised them out when you have found your memory is faulty?

No comments:

Post a Comment