Twitter

Twitter @Wombatwal

Thursday, December 4, 2008

John Edward, Psychic or Cold Reader.

John Edward, well known American Psychic.
Is he a Psychic? Does he Cold Read?
Well I will attempt to answer this with a analysis of one of John Edward's readings using cold reading.
I did this on a Believers forum called. "Sensing Murder". This forum was set up by the New Zealand Production company Ninox. One of the believers linked this reading by YouTube onto the forum. He was attempting to persuade us "resident" sceptics into believing in John Edward's psychic powers.
The link for the two YouTube videos are below.
John Edward video 1
John Edward video 2
My analysis below.

John Edward: There's a gunshot and a suicide as well
My take: John suddenly went to the other side of the room and said that. Now if you have a look at the man at the top that he was talking about he already had a microphone in his hand as John went to the other side of the room, funny.
Now this info. is probably a snip of "Hot Reading". John obviously knew what was coming up, not through psychic means but because it was already set up.

J.E.: There is a January connection, birthday, anniversary etc.
My take: This was a miss.

J.E.: If you have a brother, husband, cousin, friend that is connected to this person, a person to the side.
My take: Wow, he is fishing here, imagine the possible connections here, he missed out on workmate connection only. Why did he not know that the spirit that he was allegedly communicating with was this blokes brother? Another well known cold reading strategy.
The man in question finally gave John some information that it was his brother. Read on.

J.E.: I need to acknowledge that your brother is coming through.
My take: Information feed to him by the man.

J.E.: I also feel there is a Police Officer connection either to your family.
My take: The police officer connection was fishing and he was going to add more possible connections to this Police Officer but he was stopped by the woman by putting her hand up and infering it was her connection. Another good hit. Cold reading going well.

J.E.: Said the Police Officer had passed.
My take: This confirmed by the woman. A good hit.

J.E.: There is a Florida tie or straight down south that we need to come up with.
My take: A miss.

J.E.: Did you direct him here or did he direct you.
My take: A straight out question that elicited a good response for John to elaborate on. Another good cold reading strategy.

J.E.: You brought her to support her because you are not in to this.
My take: The woman already said he had the tickets. A good hit but understandable. Women are more woo then men generally so it was a safe guess that worked out. Her emotions tells John a lot as well.

J.E.: As much of a sceptic that you are you are a good sceptic.
My take: Well the man said he was the sceptic(not) and John could see he was impressed with him so gave him a compliment.

J.E.: I don't know if he had the alcohol problem.
My take: A pleading question that was answered willingly by the man. A very good cold reading strategy that worked well.

J.E.: I don't know if you have the number 7 jersey.
My take: Another fishing expedition because having a Jersey with No. 7, I think most peoples lucky number, right? This was a good guess that drew out a hit. Reading going very well.

J.E.: He also talks about being adopted, I don't know if he is adopted or you are adopted or a joke.
My take: Another good hit from a guess, but not specific and the man fitted it to the situation. But still a good hit.

J.E.: Is he older than you, he is putting himself above.
My take: Another guess, this time a miss. Too bad John, can't win them all, but you are doing well.

J.E.: There is another male figure above you that has passed with your brother.
My take: The man then said "that's dad". Well another good cold reading trick. It could have been a grandfather or uncle. The man told John it was his dad. Why did not John come up with that?

J.E.: They are telling me they used to tease you call you a meatball, the cookie, pineapple or a food nickname.
My take: Cold reading again on his size. John had a guess about a nickname this man may have had and bombed out. But he persists. Asking questions even. He will eventually find a link somehow, somewhere. The spirits let him down this time, but they have been good so far. Maybe it was one of Deb Webbers naughty spirits. :wink:
I also think this video has been edited, maybe not.

The man: His nickname was chicky his name was Thomas.
My take: Well done John your persistant probing has brought out the mans brothers first name. First time it was mentioned and not discovered by John.

J.E.: Someone called lemonhead, eggplant, egghead, cheesehead.
My take: He has mentioned now as far as I can count 7 food nicknames. maybe one will finally stick with someone in the family. If he keeps going something will finally stick. Another well known cold reading strategy.

J.E.: What is the reference to taping over something.
My take: The man told John about his living brother Ray taping over some important tapes. How often does this happen in a family and an extended one at that. It has happened to me. Another guess to try and get a hit on some common misshap at home.

J.E.: Did you live near an elementary school.
My take: He does not say how close, living near a school, common, but depends on how close and what the psychic actually said.

J.E.: What is the 4 year difference between him and someone else, is that going back to the person who has done the erasing.
My take: John had no idea about a 4 year difference and the fit did not work. But the man came through with their sister.
Why did not the spirits tell him?

He know calls the man's sister at work. More minds to help fit a nickname with someone.

J.E.: Is she not suppose to be a smoker.
My take: A good hit, well done John. John is now nearly in hysterics, he has had such a fantastic read, maybe his best. I am sure he is thinking that his cold reading is running fantastically today. He can't believe his luck.

J.E.: He also makes me feel he has dad with him.
My take: The man has already told John his dad was dead. John fished for a male figure above the man or his dead brother. The sister on the phone was not aware that the man told John about their dad, but the sister on the phone will be impressed with John for knowing this.

J.E.: What's up with the Chinese food.
My take: How many Chinese restauraunts are there. Probably one of the most common worldwide. Good chance of getting a fit here. And he did. Well done John.

He finally found the link. Georgie Porgie Puddin and Pie. His little brother. Well done John for persisting.
The pissing on the wall hit was good as well. But boys will be boys. We all had pissing competitions. Did we not boys.

J.E.: Is somebody Thomas Michael.
My take: John already knew the brothers first name as Thomas, because the man told him earlier, but Michael, not sure, a very good hit, or some hot reading or picked it up during the show.

J.E.: Is there a corkboard with an outside scene.
Talking of the sister on the phone at her work place.
My take: Another good hit. Well done John. Can't explain not enough information.

Well that is basicly it.
The reading explained by cold reading.
It would be good to have an expert on cold reading to dissect these videos, it would be much more informative.

A link to the Sensing Murder Forum and the thread containing the YouTube link and my analysis can be found here. The thread is 8 pages long, you may or may not want to wade through every post in this thread, but my analysis starts on page 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment